Objectives and Benefits of Underfloor Heating
Heat is transferred from a warm area to a colder area in three ways:
- Natural radiation
Our bodies find natural radiation to be the most comfortable, because this is how the sun heats us. Underfloor Heating emulates this natural heating action of the sun. Energy emitted from the floor is absorbed by other surfaces in the room. These surfaces warm up and become secondary emitters. Compared with other forms of heating, the advantages are:
- All-round, comfortable warmth
- Unhindered room layout: no wall-mounted radiators, for example
- Improved energy efficiency: typically saving up to 25% on fuel bills
- Floor only needs heating to 26-28°C (about the same as hand temperature)
- Requires water heated to 45-65°C: significantly less than for other heating types
- Healthier environment: less dust circulates in the air
- Greater safety: very hot surfaces (most radiators, for example) are eliminated
|Heat Source||CO2||Running costs|
|Air source heat pump||19%||20%|
|Ground source heat pump||18%||16%|
Underfloor Heating can be used on any of the typical floor constructions commonly used in the UK, although the configuration of the system may vary. The three most common types of floor construction are solid screed floor, timber joisted / suspended and floating floor.
Features / Benefits of Underfloor Heating
- Energy efficient – reduced CO2 emissions & running costs
- “Invisible” warmth – no intrusive radiators
- Uniform heat – improved comfort level
- Total design freedom – maximum use of floor & wall space
- Zone by zone controllability – tailor to suit personal needs
- Safe heating system – no exposed hot surfaces
- Low allergy – reduces airborne dust/dust mites
- Low maintenance – no stains/no decoration or renewal of radiators
- Silent running – no expansion creaking/water flow noises
Ensuring that a system operates at its most efficient is achieved by selecting and integrating appropriate thermostats, control centre(s) and manifolds.
Underfloor heating gently heats the floor by either warm water pipe or electric cable. It is already widely used in other countries and is now increasingly being recognised in the UK as the most modern energy efficient option for space heating.
By partnering the industry’s leading manufacturers and innovators, Plumb Center is uniquely positioned to offer Underfloor Heating systems and components for all floor types, whether for retrofit or new builds, either domestic or commercial, along with cutting edge control systems.
To benefit from this renewable energy solution, visit our Underfloor Heating section now to view our latest products.